Thursday, November 4, 2010

My Favourite Things

Original Painting by BlueeyedduckStudios

I had a childhood crush on Julie Andrews. I wanted to be her. I wanted to sing like her and be pretty like her. It didn't really work out that way but that's okay with me.

Sure, I'm a musician but certainly not the singing type (unless you are wanting me to sing for comical entertainment). My friends laugh at me because I can never remember the words to a song. This includes the favourites on my iPod which I should really know seeing as I listen to them quite frequently. When I can't remember the words, I resort to singing the back-up lines and instrumental fills. Hey! It's an important part and I challenge anyone to sing 'Galileo-Figaro' in a squeaky manner in Bohemian Rhapsody as well as I do.

Anyhow, if you've done any shopping in the last few days, you may have noticed Christmas music playing in the stores already. I know, isn't it crazy?! Over the last few Christmases, I've also noticed that the song "My Favourite Things" from The Sound of Music (a childhood favourite obviously because of Julie Andrews) has also been somehow turned into a Christmas song. I think it's the 'snowflakes that fall on my nose and eyelashes, brown paper packages tied up with string.." line that demotes it to a Christmas song.



Well, here are some of MY favourite things that I'd like to share with you.

1) Fireplaces- Especially wood burning ones; there's something so rustic and cozy about them.

2)Raspberries- When you bite into a strawberry but never know if it's sour or sweet. With a raspberry you always know it's sour. They are an honest fruit.

3) Cats- They will give you love in order to get what they want. I think in the real world, they call it 'customer service'.

4) Dogs- When you want someone's attention they are always willing to volunteer their help.

5) Pizza- Can always be diguised as 'healthy'.

6) Skiing- It's quite fulfilling seeing mountain scenery with 2 planks strapped to the bottom of my feet. It really is a zen feeling when it's going well.

7) Sleep- A great way to procrastinate (along with blogging?)

8) Jesus- Apparently he was a morning person which really doesn't make me too happy, but his teachings are good rules to live by, so I forgive him

9) Hiking- It's like 'stopping to smell the roses' but with altitude (not to be confused with attitude)

10) The Arts- and losing track of time in doing, making , listening to & teaching anything related to the arts. Mmm artsy fartsy.

2 comments:

  1. I just love your favourite things - we have two fireplaces in our old house, but have to get the chimneysweep around to take a poke or two before we get them roaring! When I was about 9-14 years old, people used to say that I looked like Julie Andrews - I had short, auburn hair and green eyes - LOL - no look alike as I got older!!! I so look forward to more of your meanderings - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List